The History of Fosters Mill
Fosters Mill was built in 1857 by local millwrights Fysons of Soham. It stands on the site of an earlier post mill and it is believed mills have stood on this site since the 12th Century.
The mill was tenanted to local miller Henry Galley from 1858 to 1895 after which it was sold to Fitz Thomas Foster in 1896. The Fosters ran the mill producing animal feed until 1946 by which time it was no longer economically viable to maintain the mill.
Luckily, Sidney Foster, the last of the Foster family millers took good care of his mill such that he was able to sell the mill intact to Michael Bulleid in 1970. Michael devoted much of his life to restoring the mill and in 1992, the mill was returned to working order. The present miller bought the mill in 1998 and has developed a successful flour milling business, ensuring the mill is maintained for future generations.